When the driveway was paved, I used bricks from an old chimney to edge flower beds on either side of the carport entrance. Some are still mortared together, some are loosely stacked. An incident with the tractor caved in a place that I crudely repaired. “Ruins” is an apt description.
Among the plants in this ruins bed are hyacinths, a tiny daffodil, a California poppy, an opium poppy, foliage of Lycoris squamagera, daylilies and the remnant stem of a Brugmansia that had foliage coming from the roots until the last freeze.
Here’s a closer look at newly planted Graptopetalum paraguayense above and a hyacinth below that has split into three bulbs since I put it here after forcing one year.
Newly planted hyacinths above, a poppy and more Ghost Plant. An 18 cell flat full of Graptopetalum grew from single leaves in less than a year. I’m hoping they spread over the bricks and hang down. The hyacinths grew and bloomed in clay pots in the greenhouse; most given as gifts, these are the remnants. They will bloom again here next year.
Every leaf that breaks off I save to make another plant. These sturdy plants can go a long time without water, survive freezes and tolerate sun and heat. The flat they were in spent the winter in front of the greenhouse facing west.
Since I realized how easily Ghost Plants grow I am finding more uses for them. They need only a place where the brittle leaves and stems aren’t stepped on or brushed against.